Videos like the one below are making me
The below video is part of a trend I am seeing that claims Americans are poor but based on some really odd metrics. I will go into detail below.
Fat and Poor, how in the world did we pull that off?!
The title questions is easily answered, we live in a world superpower and became decadently rich and that, plus many other things, led us to obesity. Now we think we are poor because decadence breeds stupidity.
The thing that I really want to talk about is how we got to this point of crying poor mouth while stuffing our mouths and how we can get out of this financial/health stupor.
How we got here (Not an exhaustive list)…
- The agricultural industry making the food pyramid rather than scientists making the food pyramid in 1992 was catastrophic (FYI Bread should not be the staple of your diet).
West becoming a decadent society where, among other things, we indulge in cheap twinkies rather than cheap bananas has certainly helped foster the current situation.
- The world finance industry going full blown abstract mode and dismissing the importance of human dignifying work is something C3 has spent the past year raising awareness about. In case your new to the newsletter, Abstract dominant economics such as the stock market are a true plague on
- The lie that the universities sold the public, that everyone and their brother needs a four-year degree has produced some wild consumer debt numbers.
All of these factors and more led us to this situation of being objectively fat and subjectively poor. But what is the solution?
Here is my 5 step plan.
- Exercise. Walk around the block, buy some dumbbells, or do a few pushups. You don’t have to run a marathon or break weightlifting records to maintain health, just get moving.
- Eat a balanced diet. I am no nutritionist or scientist, but we are obviously omnivores (Just look at our teeth). That means, unless you have some sort of auto immune disease, eat a balanced diet and make sure carbs are not the base of it. Bananas and water are cheaper than ice cream and
- Realize that you are not actually poor just because you cannot keep up with the jones’. You are poor when you do not have shelter and food for your family!! Gratitude reaps Joy, Jealousy reaps misery.
- Do not listen to people who tell you your poor. Trust me, you will know if your poor or not and you won’t need someone pointing it out to you.
- Don’t pursue comfort! Comfort atrophies the mind, body and soul. In small doses comfort is great…A nice meal out, a
little vacation here and there, that is all fine and well. But pursuing a retirement where you don’t have to do anything past the age of 60 or avoiding a little exercise because you don’t like the feeling of breathing heavy is just going to make you depressed.
Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. ~ Matthew 16:24
The most notable are highlighted in RED
- Shrinkflation (Food and Drink producers putting less of the product in its container but still charging the same price for said good) is a real thing. A French Supermarket chain is actually labeling certain products as being shrinkflation so that the consumers are aware that they are buying less than they did in the past for the same price.
- Iran is getting 5 US held prisoners back and $6 billion from South Korea in back oil payments in exchange for the US getting 6 US prisoners who have been detained in Iran for years. This deal that the Biden Admin struck with Iran is catching a lot of heat.
- The fed is expected to skip a rate hike today for the month of September, but ‘Core’ inflation went up in August for the first time in six months.
- MGM and Ceasars casino resorts got killed last week because of a cyber-attack that shutdown slot machines and stole customer information. Cyber Security is becoming very expensive as hackers improve their skills at every turn. Last year US companies alone spent $73 billion on cybersecurity, and they still had to pay out $456 million to hackers who demanded cash to make them stop wreaking havoc.
- The CDC thinks all people over 6 months old needs a new covid shot. I mean come on, Pfizer and Moderna may become less ridiculously rich if we don’t all get the jab!!! No one would want those poor CEOs to lose out on their bonuses.
- FedEx is one company that has many investors excited right now. With Yellow Corp going bankrupt and UPS paying its workers record high wages, the road may be clear for FedEx to make a comeback.
- Olive Garden owner Darden Restaurants is acquiring Ruth’s Chris. Darden has been one winner in high food costs as their cheap deals like soup and salad at Olive Garden and Lunch specials at Longhorn Steakhouse have been the go-to for AMericans to eat out while on a budget.
- In the US household wealth is hitting all-time highs, but purchasing power is going down. Meaning we are making more money, but the prices are just going up much faster than wages.
- 13,000 autoworkers from Ford, GM and Stellantis plants are
picketing as the Union and the Auto companies failed to reach a deal by the deadline. This could mean economic catastrophe for Detroit, the state of Michigan and the US at large.
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk is probably pretty stoked about the previous bullet point. Tesla already has a major cost advantage
over the Detroit big three in terms of cost of employee per hour, but if the new demands by the auto union are met then the cost for producing a Tesla will be about 1/3 the cost for producing a car for the Detroit big three on average. Tesla achieved this not because of it being an EV producer but just because their production is so streamlined.
- Oil prices continue to surge in September, they are currently up 30% since June. This is because Russia and Saudi Arabia are cutting production and China is boosting demand.
- California is suing Big Oil companies and their lobby
for misleading Americans about the dangers of fossil fuels. NYC is scared of climate change too as tens of thousands have taken to the streets of Manhattan to call on Pres. Biden to not give approvals for new oil and gas drilling projects. If NYC and CA are for it, then I just want to be against it out of spite.
- Chick-fil-A once got banned in the UK because of LGB…nonsense acronym people protesters but it is now returning the UK.
Marc Lozano, Christ Centered Capital